Sunday, June 11, 2006

 

Chiquiti-bum-a-la-bim-bom-ba… Mexico, Mexico, rah rah rah!

Big news of the day: Mexico beat Iran 3-1 in their first game of the World Cup. Two goals were made by Omar Bravo (of the Chivas), and the goalkeeper, Oswaldo Sanchez (also of the Chivas), as always played well, even though his father passed away a few days ago. I watched the game while I swept and mopped my apartment, and then afterwards I did my laundry on the roof. I am very proud of myself for having finished my weekend chores so early!

Update about work troubles: Friday when I got to work, the principal and I greeted each other with a hug, and I apologized for my mal comportamiento the day before, and everything was OK.

I still struggled with my classes that day, but I didn’t shout or have a nervous breakdown, and we got out early again. I went to the pool to practice swimming—I am very out of shape so a few laps have me panting poolside. I was proud of myself for completing about seven laps of the crawl and ten of the backstroke, however much water got up my nose and however many breaks I took in between. I went grocery shopping at the big store near the pool. I came home to eat lunch and watch telenovelas without having anything pressing to do for the next day.

Saturday morning I went to my swimming class, and everyone was impressed with my progress. I will keep going to practice one day during the week, because I can’t seem to perform as well with people watching me.

After swim class, I went to get my hair cut. I have a very bad habit of splitting and breaking off my thousands of split ends, especially when I am bored, so I decided it was time for a change of hairstyle. It’s short, short, short! At the end, there was a big mound of hair behind my chair, and everyone in the salon was joking about using it for extensions. I am still not used to the haircut, but this morning I thought it looked all right. Anyway, it grows fast, and it will be healthier now.

It’s funny how men are not as into short hair. I have noticed that I get fewer whistles and comments while walking on the street.

Rocio and I went to the movies last night. We watched X-Men 3, which I have been dying to see. I was disappointed that it wasn’t subtitled but dubbed, but it’s not like the movie has dialogue that is difficult to understand. Afterwards we played pool and had micheladas and popcorn there. We hadn’t been there in months, and it was lots of fun.

Rocio and I are excited because we are going to Guadalajara this coming weekend. Her boyfriend is coming from Chicago to Arandas for the summer, so she is going to pick him up at the airport on Sunday. She and I will spend Saturday in the city, however, probably wandering around the center and going dancing at night. We are also thinking of going on the cemetery tour that Julia and I never got to go on. I’m happy to be spending another fun weekend with friends in Guadalajara before leaving Mexico.

I have been going to Hawaiian dance classes three days a week. The fourth-grade teacher has studied Hawaiian dance for years, and she gives cheap classes in her apartment now. (I am also going to give her English classes as an exchange.) It’s a lot of fun, but an intense workout. All the exercise I’ve been doing is making me feel really good. I will try to keep it up even while I’m in school and working in the fall. I spent an evening online looking at all the activities and facilities available at Teachers College, and I am so excited because there is a pool and a kung fu club. The kung fu club practices Wing Chun, which I studied in Taipei, so I think I have to go. I bet somewhere in New York I can also keep up Hawaiian dance….

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?