Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

Return of the amoebas

It’s definitely amoebas again. I went to the doctor yesterday and we did the tests and I got a prescription for antibiotics.

It wasn’t as bad as the first time I got the amoebas here, so I thought I could handle real food, as long as everything was cooked. The jell-o I had made yesterday was disgusting, so I didn’t eat it. Instead I made albondigas (meatballs in soup), which didn’t turn out quite as well as when Rocio makes it. Now things are worse. I couldn’t sleep well because I kept having to get up to go to the bathroom all night.

At six in the morning someone was setting off a cannon. I wonder what festival day it is today. It sounded as if the cannon was in front of my apartment building.

Now I’ve called in sick and am drinking my suero oral (which translates as oral serum, like a drip you drink) and eating the yucky gelatin I made. I vow to drink chamomile tea all day and eat all the gelatin instead of trying to eat normal food.

I found out that Mexico does advance to the next round in the World Cup because Iran and Angola tied yesterday. That means Mexico has more points than they do. I am really learning a lot about World Cup soccer.

I’m writing a lot in this blog because I’ve nothing else to do, now that I can’t go to work or give afternoon classes or go to Hawaiian dance class.

I’ve been applying to jobs in New York but of course it’s too early for that. I’ve also been applying to editorial jobs in Columbus for the summer, at McGraw-Hill. I didn’t think I’d get any response, but someone emailed me the other day, trying to set up an interview with me. While my return to Columbus will be too late for the position, they still want me to come in for an interview when I get back because other positions will be opening up. I feel bad because I have basically omitted the important information that I will be going to school in the fall, and I probably can’t be considered for those positions anyway. I think when I get back I will tell him that I’ve decided to go to school in the fall and therefore can only do a temporary job for the summer.

I was thinking though that maybe I should defer my admission to Teachers College for a year so that I can work and save money for school. I could get a job at McGraw-Hill editing SRA stuff. After some worrying about this, I decided that I probably should avoid spending a year working at a job that is not on the career path that I’ve decided on. It’d only be aggravating.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?