Monday, July 17, 2006

 

Goodbye, Mexico; hope to return soon

I wrote this blog entry my last night in Mexico, which was July 10, but the site wouldn't let me upload it and then I forgot all about it till today....

After sending friends the message that I’ve finally posted photos on my blog, my friend Paul wrote me an email saying it was nice to read my last blog entry and see the photos. Oh, is it that bad? Are people just waiting for me to stop writing about Mexico?

Maybe he just meant my latest blog entry.

I’m in Guadalajara, in the old posada. I splurged on a private room. I have the one that is halfway up the stairs, with windows facing the street. It feels good to be spending my last night in Mexico here, in the same place where I started. I’m just relaxing, watching my telenovelas and sports news and mystery movies on cable, trying to eliminate unnecessary items from my suitcases because I think they’re overweight. I’m also enjoying the 24-hour wireless internet.

The principal and owner of the school drove me to Guadalajara, and they treated me to a nice lunch in a fancy restaurant. I had a chile en nogada, which they have been raving about for a long time. It was weird. It’s a chile filled with all kinds of fruits and vegetables and nuts and seeds and stuff, and covered in a creamy walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds. It’s to celebrate Mexican independence, so it’s green (the chile), white (the walnut sauce), and red (the pomegranate seeds). It was a funny way to end this stay in Mexico, because it’s not really representative. I prefer the plain old chile relleno—spicy, cheesy, fried, so not that good for your stomach, but damned tasty.

I guess there’s nothing else to say. I’m done with this almost-year in Arandas, so I’m done with this blog.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?